Thursday, September 3, 2009

Baku Goodbye Tour: Quiches and PCVs.

The next day consisted of lunch with a PCV pal, Amy, and hanging out.  For dinner, we went to Kent's and I got to spend more time with good company.  I had come up with the idea, too, to make a meal for the lovely Amy and Kim for being so gracious as to hosting me in Baku this week.  On the walk from Kent's, I asked Kim what she would want and she said something
 with eggs.  I let my mind wander for a few and thought it would be good to make a quiche.  It's easy, good, and a great brunch food that's light enough for us to all still be hungry at dinner time.  I thought about my amazing friend, Sarah, and her idea for a quiche and I ran with it tweaking where I saw fit.  I was able to spoil my friend and myself with cheddar, broccoli, and a Diet Dr. Pepper!  I'm still excited about how awesome it was.  Keep in mind, I haven't had cheddar since last September, same with Dr. Pepper.  I've only had broccoli twice since being here.  All the aforementioned products are hard to find here and, when you do, it hits your volunteer budget pretty hard.  

That night, we had the final goodbye dinners for Kim and Rob.  Rob left from the restaurant and Kim left early the next morning.  Sad face.  We saw Kim off at 5 am and I'm still coming to the realization I won't be seeing her next time I'm in Baku.  I already miss her a lot.  Goodbye Kim and Rob!

This was also the night of the big hoorah for the AZ5s leaving.  After dinner, dessert, and some lingering about, I headed to the party.  I ducked out early that night because of Kim's impending departure.  I got back and woke up at 4:30ish to say goodbye again and we all helped with taking her stuff down 6 flights of stairs.

I moved from Amy's after Kim's departure and headed over to a friend's to hang out.  It was a quiet day that consisted of a good lunch.  We made our way over to Finnegins for happy hour
 and met up with other volunteers.  Me and Laura snuck out to get apple pie where Bev and Natalie met us and I ran into new friend Evan and Pam!  Baku's a small place, apparently.  This was the majority of the AZ5's last night in town, so we said goodbyes and moved on. 

Sitemate Alexis' birthday was Thursday as was Philosopher's Lunch with Amber!  We trekked over to the Baku Roasting Company, a slice of America in Baku, hung out, chatted, and enjoyed coffee and American music.  I also got to see new friends Kent, Josh, and Evan!  Told you, small place!  I liked it!  I got jacked up on coffee, but was still, somehow, incredibly tired at Bev (and Alexis') dinner at Adams.  Indian food was yummy, but I was dead tired so me, Agsu Rachel, and sitemate Laura peaced out for soft serve at McDonalds.  It was a nice, quiet night and we watched the Bourne Ultimatum.  Or, more accurately, they watched it and I fell asleep a few times.

The rest of Baku was calm and lovely.  I spent quality time with Agsu Rachel and Jacksta, enjoyed sushi, salads, and sandwiches, saw new friend Evan (again!), worked (a little), had a softball meeting, said goodbye to the best 5 ever (Bev), and took the mental health break I needed away from Mingechevir and the 5 cats.  

1 comment:

Sarah Glova said...

1. I laugh every time I remember how many cats you've managed to collect. while in the peace corps. hahaha i love you.

2. HORRAY for happy quiche! definitely a good brunch food-- SO perfect for tweaking :) I bet it was ammmaaazing!

3. Sorry the other kim left-- these goodbyes I'm sure are getting hard! But so glad you're still having fun.

Also, I just want you to know that I should REALLY be studying right now. just in case you were wondering whether or not I'm still a procrastinator :)