
My first Thanksgiving was the Peace Corps' Thanksgiving - the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Almost all of my group went to Baku to celebrate at the Charge D'affaires' place. It was a wonderful and generous invitation for him to extend. Meredith, the Country Director, and he provided turkeys and drinks and all the volunteers brought everything else - potluck style. Everything was delicious. We were all also able to stay with American Embassy workers and families. I cannot even begin to express how amazing the family I stayed with was. They were warm, welcoming, friendly and truly American. I was finally able to be in a family dynamic again and I realized how much I miss it. My stay with the family was more incredible than I ever imagined it to be. Not only was it a slice of America family wise,

it was also a complete revisit to the amenities and lifestyle I once took for granted. For the first time in over a year, I was able to use a washer... and a dryer! I currently smell like Bounce fabric softener and it is glorious! It was spectacular to catch up with old friends, eat incredible food, spend some time in Baku, meet new people, and watch a fabulous talent show (that included a speedo, Disney tunes, and human pyramids).
Mingechevir also had our own little Thanksgiving on the actual day. We did another potluck event and I made stuffing and mac and cheese. There was a good amount of more great food and I am still full! It was nice to have a small event after our huge Baku get together and spend quality time with those I spend so much time with. We also had 2 guests, but it was still intimate and great. Not only did I get to eat more yummy food and hang out with people I enjoy, I was also able to Skype my family back home and see everyone! Everyone! I saw my mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law, and the baby! It was the first time I was able to see the baby and my brother as a dad. It was nice to "see" them and spend some of both our holidays with each other, even though we're worlds away.
This year I have a lot to be thankful for. I've come a long way in a year even though, at times, it feels like I've gone no where at all. My support networks are strong and I know I have stellar people in both of my worlds, friends and family. Being with my American Embassy family, I realized I'm able to find wonder in the simple things that exist back home. I have beautiful people in my life in Azerbaijan ranging from my first host family to expat friends and, of course, my Peace Corps family. And, finally, I have an incredible amount of things and opportunities to look forward to in the future. Who knows where I'll be or what I'll be planning on doing a year from now, but I'm thankful for all the prospects - as scary as they may be.

1 comment:
awe, I'm so glad you got to see your family, especially your niece =) Did it make being an aunt feel any more real to you?
Hope you've had a good non-turkey day!!! miss you like crazy!
Post a Comment