I can't honestly say I've seen much outside of my own apartment for the past week as I've been caught in the grips of some horrific illness that's kept me bedridden and miserable. But, such is life. Luckily, (typically) I only get really sick about once a winter, so here's hoping I don't have to deal with anything like this for the rest of my time here.

Pre getting sick and whiny, I visited Gence (twice) for 2 different things. The first reason I had to go was to get my swine flu vaccination. Me and some other Ming kids hopped a marshrut early one morning to go get our shots in a hotel room with one of the trusty PC doctors... not sketch at all... Overall, though, it was a pleasant day as I got to see 2 of the new volunteers that I hadn't seen in quite awhile (amongst other great people). Flash-forward 2 days and I was making that trip again, but for a more social and fun reason - Sabina's birthday. Last year, about this time, I blogged about visiting Gence for Sabina's birthday. She was my first Azerbaijani teacher and friend. It was great to be with her again and see her hit year 22. We all had a sleepover and it was lovely.
Upon my arrival back, I kept thinking

about how this year has officially become my 'year of lasts'. It was my last year spending Sabina's birthday with her. My last Christmas and New Years have already passed. This is my last full winter and, inshallah, my last sickness. All these other lasts are popping up all over the place as well. I'm trying not to think of everything in this context, but, sometimes, I find it to be a difficult thing to do. The thing is, a lot happens in 10 months and I can't quite see that finish line quite yet, so I best not let my mind wander there.

2 comments:
I'm soooooo sorry you were sick :( I do hope it's the last one of your winter! Wish I could make you some soup!
Year of lasts leads to a year of firsts :)
:( sorry you were sick m'amie. Hope you're feeling better now.
And just keep in mind, even though you're experiencing a lot of "lasts," you're also experiencing a lot of "firsts." There's no doubt in my mind that something amazing is headed your way.
Post a Comment