Not wanting to hop on the 5 hour marshrutka (overfilled van) ride from Baku to Mingechevir, I wasted a good amount of time in the Peace Corps lounge Thursday morning. I finally motivated myself to leave the lounge after a couple hours to make the journey back. I cannot express this enough... I hate traveling in this country. Typical traveling here includes being stared at and harassed, cramped spaces, no leg room, bumpy roads that give me headaches, and overall lameness. I get to the bus station and I find my marshrutka. As soon as I put my bags in the back and make my way to the back section of the van, the driver asks if I would like to sit in the front. Usually this doesn't happen because I'm a girl and only men sit in the front (most times). I say yes because the front is loads more comfortable. Score. Since I'm a girl, a xanam (old lady) rolls up and sits in the front with me. Double score.
We eventually get on the road and the front seat is a pleasant place to be. We're all joking, laughing, and enjoying our time. We stop at a little store and the driver buys me and the xanam sunflower seeds and drinks. Amazing. We continue on our journey still comfortable. Eventually we arrive at the midway stopping point for the break and I was getting hungry, so I ask the xanam to let me out of the front seat. She begins to follow me as she knows no one else. The rest stop, of course, has no salads, so we get tea and watch some Olympic hockey on the TV while chatting away. Before we left, she had the driver stop to buy me bananas and mandarins. Azerbaijan really decided to let me have a good day. The xanam continues to talk to me telling me that she's going to a birthday party and I'm going with her. I decided that the day was working in my favor, so I just agreed.
Me and the xanam make random observations on the
road and laugh about all the sights. She points out a midget and yells that he is little - I laugh hysterically. I love midget humor. We get to Mingechevir and she makes the driver drive us into town. We get off the marshrutka and we're right by my apartment and we go to School 13 to the party. I was surprised as I have never been in IDP (Internally Displaced People) housing. This family lives in a section of a school that I sometimes teach at. I go in with the xanam, eat salads, and thoroughly enjoy my random Azeri day/night. I had to leave come about 9:30 because I was exhausted from Baku. When I left, I had a gang of people following me to walk me home. I left my new friends with promises to go back basically every Tuesday and to call my new xanam friend, Samaya, when I return to Baku to walk the boulevard with her.
I think things are taking a turn for the better. And, on another very positive note, I've got news that my landlord in Russia is not planning on returning for another year. This girl is not planning on having to move. I win.

No comments:
Post a Comment