Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mail, Mail, Snail Mail.

For the first 3 months (9/23-12/8):

Kim Joyce, PCT
AZ 1000
Main PO Box 77
Peace Corps
Baku, AZERBAIJAN

For anyone who would like to send me things or whatever from home (you all know I'm a sentimental person), here's some really great information (thanks to other volunteers for information and ideas):

-Mail generally takes around 10 days, I hear, but could take up to weeks.  Good to know if there's any special timing to anything.

-The Peace Corps suggests that writers number the forms of communication.  So, if I'm in my place and I receive a letter marked 1 and 3, I know something's up with number 2 and I lost some valuable words and communication.  I think it's a good idea.

-The first 3 months, think small.  I'll have to repack and take my things to my site after training... after packing here, I don't think I'll be able to fit much more in bags.  

-I will most likely not be the first person to see what you're sending me.  So, camouflage (I heard tampon boxes work fabulously) and please don't send really valuable things that we would be completely heartbroken to lose.

-This link is everything you need to know about shipping & mailing to Azerbaijan from the US. Here are the basics: First Class Letter or Postcard will be about $0.94, Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope will be about $11.95 and Priority Mail International Flat Rate Boxes will be about $38.95 (regular size) and $49.95 (large size).

There you go, mailing 101.  :)

No comments: