Sunday, May 18, 2008

Don't Close Your Eyes, You Might Fall to Pieces.




I got my official invitation in the mail for the Peace Corps.

My assignment states as such: I will be in Azerbaijan (neighbor to Armenia and Georgia, below Russia, and right above Iran) and part of the AZ6 crowd.   I'm in the Youth Development program where I will be a Youth Development Facilitator.   I don't know where I go to staging at yet, I'll find that out a month out before my departure date.   I will be out of NC by September 20... I'll be out of the US by September 23 (my mom's birthday).   Once training is over, I'll be starting my official time as a Volunteer December 9, 2008 and will be finished with my service term December 8, 2010.   Wow.

I've been trying to cope with the immanent departure.  It's pretty heavy.  When I got my invitation, me and Heather drove around and ended up at Bottega.  It was honestly the best place for me to be.  I strummed the mandolin till some noise got out of my head and bonded in the rain.  It was pretty much perfect at times and reminded me that no matter if I'll be able to return and maintain the friend I have now, I'll always have that memory and shared past time with her/them.  The impact is what's real, right?  The present presence and the (perhaps glorified) memory of is, in the end, what's most important. 

No comments: