The most pertinent question I've been on the receiving end of is how I am going to cope with gender roles and difference while away. I honestly don't know how it is in reality there, so I've been putting that issue in the back of my mind as I cannot know how it will be until I am living it. Speculation is well and good, I enjoy looking at every angle, but the truth at the moment is is I'm ignorant to how it will really be. Yes, I know I will have to push aside my anti-authority, establishment, and systematic notions, but I can see that in that case, I will be forced to expand my mind. So, perhaps it's farewell to my individualistic attitude for now (but I really kind of doubt it).
So, getting back to the original issue on my mind on what I will associate with "my U.S." as these are the thoughts that will motivate me are my memories. Aside from that, I will definitely miss:
Freedom to be
Sitting on a porch talking the days and nights away
Mixed media backgrounds in the company of a friend
DC excursions
Accessibility for communication
Driving aimlessly listening to whatever mix or nothing at all
Summer drunken downtown nights
Wine nights and Bottega
Having the option to have a cup of Java Dog coffee while going through a Bojangles drive-thru
I doubt I'll be able to have or do any of this a week from now for a while.
Finally, the most important aspect I will genuinely miss that I hit on earlier are the people that I spent time with. I have truly amazing friends and acquaintances in Wilmington. That was proved to me pretty overwhelmingly this past weekend on my final visit. Thank you for all who came out to my goodbye party Friday, I had a blast and it was incredible to see everyone all jam packed in one night. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to spend one more night with you all. And, everyone else I saw this past weekend, thanks for making my last visit memorable and exciting. Please do keep in touch as you are all in my thoughts; you and the interactions I've had with all of you are what I'll claim as my U.S. when speaking of my experiences in my new country.
P.S. I wish I had more pictures to share from my goodbye party, but those there know that I was more into Polaroids than digital pictures.

2 comments:
hey, this is Hannah. I thought I posted a comment, but I guess I didn't - shows how good I am at blogging! anyway. my flight leaves around 8.30ish - I will have to double check to get the exact time. what about you?
bummer. I tried to get on that flight so I wouln't arrive so early, but the travel ppl wouldn't let me. oh well. I will see you there!
Post a Comment