I remember one of my main concerns was: what the heck am I going to pack?! Being here now, knowing the contexts of which I live, I'm better able to answer that question. You know, hindsight and all...
The things I'm glad I brought: my mac, my iHome, iPod, camera, french press, coffee, sheets, light blanket, pillow, a big backpack, a regular backpack, jeans, a winter jacket, a spring coat, hoodies, t-shirts, gum, chapstick, pictures, anything that reminds you of loved ones (trinkets, etc.), nalgene and sigg bottles, sharpies, note cards (PST studying), books, a good pair of shoes, lots of Smartwool socks, a mac external modem, flash drive, DVDs, that 2nd pair of glasses.
The things I brought that I probably didn't have to, but glad I did anyways: corkscrew, can-opener, canvas totebag, shampoo and conditioner (you can get it here, but anything from home seems so much better - conditioner is way better), toothpaste, lotion, toothbrushes, various medicines (sleeping pills, Aleve, mosquito balms, tiger balm), good batteries, flashlight, Leatherman, lots of magazines, Scrabble, Catchphrase, comfortable slippers, flashlight, headlamp.
The things I didn't bring, but had a cool family and amazing friends send: external hard-drive filled with entertainment, candies, spices, more chapstick, more sleeping pills, foods, a watch, gloves, anything for warmth in the winter, a pair of good winter boots, a keyring light, a planner, anything else I miss.
The things I should've brought: US dollars for those weird transition months, an external hard-drive, Taboo, the aforementioned boots.
The things I probably still don't need, but wouldn't mind having: a to-go mug, compact sleeping bag, a really good knife, any ethnic spices.
If you already have a good phone that's unlocked, bring it, saves you money on buying a phone here for other things. If you have a phone already and have the money to unlock it, do it. Will also be good for vacationing when all you need is to buy a sim card in a different country.
Don't forget to pack little gifts for your host families. You can probably grab something here, but things from America are really appreciated.
My list, especially the toiletries and such, will probably differ from other volunteers. I am in a city, so I'm able to get more things than others may be in their regions. Being in a city also means I probably have more stable electricity than others, so the headlamp is a little less needed, but I still use it. Overall, though, I don't regret much of what I brought. I've found a use for everything I put in my bags those late September days. Don't be afraid to pack anything that makes you happy. I packed tons of pictures, cards, and trinkets, a couple frivolous things, and a lot books, but that's me. I don't regret it. You can always ask family/friends to send you things as well, so don't stress out too much. And, you will be able to get some things in Baku - it's just expensive. Sometimes, you'll be pleasantly be surprised about what you may find in the regions.
Enjoy those days when all your material possessions are literally the only things you have with you. Kind of liberating, extremely scary, and completely fascinating when there's 61 of you in a room together with the same ambiguity, fears, and thrills of what's about to happen.
Happy Packing AZ7! Enjoy your last summers in the States before you take off! :)

5 comments:
Awesome, thank you for the list. I am one of those coming in Sept. Looking forward to meeting you.
Cheers,
Eli
Thanks for posting this. I haven't really started packing yet but am working on picking out a computer, have you run into any issues with your Mac?
Thanks, friend!
Mike
Hey guys! Hope you're getting ready and get ready for the longest, yet shortest, summer ever!
Mike - In true Mac user fashion, I love my Mac. There are several reasons why this is the case, especially in the 'baijan. The most notable one being the Mac's ability to not get a lot of viruses. With all the file-sharing going on in this country, it's nice to feel a bit safer when it comes down to your major source of entertainment. The random few things that are either annoying or yet to be determined is you have to buy an external modem since they don't come with one and dial-up is pretty much all you can get and our 6-month reports we have to do that aren't yet Mac compatible. Hopefully they will be soon and the Mac users in the country will live happily ever after.
Guess who found peanut butter in their town!! In true Azeri fashion it is way sugary though. But still Quba has peanut butter!!!
Thank you very much for the list, I am also one of the new PCVs coming in September ;)I'm sure we will have questions in the coming months!
Katie
Post a Comment