Anyways, now that that business is taken care of... let me wish you all a happy Wrigley Field Opening Day!!! I wore my Cubs shirt, played softball, and made a bet with a fellow volunteer (who's a Cardnals' fan). I think that chalks up to be a good celebration of the season's home start. Not to mention, Johnson's catch against the Brewers! Wowsers!
I've been thinking a lot today about my past year. Probably because my birthday is in just under an hour (my time)... I've thought of all the steps forward I've taken, the steps I've skipped, and the ones that pulled me back quite a ways. Overall, I think this has been a good year.
One year ago, I was waiting for an impending graduation day, finishing all my school, internship, organization, and PAR work, worrying about my upcoming Peace Corps life, trying to manage and strengthen relationships I feared would be lost, and attempting to figure out where it was I was going to live over the summer before my departure. Though all those thoughts and things were my reality, I found a bit of time to celebrate my birthday. It's strange to think of how busy I used to be all the time being an over-extended student, worker, young adult, person... Luckily, I found that chunk of time to celebrate and kick off an amazingly unique new year of life.
I was getting ready and I put on my favorite earrings, one read "Be Yourself," the other "Pretend Sometimes." I'm happy to say I believe this past year was one that I was truly myself. At the nights' end, I lost the "Pretend Sometimes" and I just recently started using the "Be Yourself" as a charm alongside my tree on my necklace. I think this year has been the one where I grew the most, the one where I can withdraw some of the best memories I'll ever be able to, the one where experience outweighed ideas and contributed to them something ineffable... this past year was the one where not only I was myself, but the one where I've been the closest of knowing who I am so that I could be myself. Knowing that I'm in a causal strain of life where one thing will inevitably effect another, I'm always changing, but this year, I was onto something...
So, here's to another year of life. This one upcoming year will be my full birth year cycle in Azerbaijan... I can only hope I will be able to learn as much not being busy as I did this past one.
P.S, I tried to post a picture, but my internet is too slow... sorry.

4 comments:
Thanks, Kim....it was so nice to here from you again. Hope you had a great Birthday!
Vikki
you are so cool. did you know that?
I think you'll always look back on this past year as one of the years of your life that most impacted the person into who you evolved.
Your own kitchen-- I am so happy for you :)
Happy Happy Birthday and DEFINITELY try to write more!
<3
I think "be yourself" is a very important thing to be reminded of.
It sounds like you had an amazing year - I hope the one to come is even better for you!
i remember your birthday last year, all week long haha. it will be interesting to see where this next year leads you. you have definitely come into your own :)
Post a Comment