Monday, April 20, 2009

When You See Asparagus, Buy it... Always Buy it.

Last week, wandering through the bazaar, me, Agsu Rachel, and sitemate Laura almost had a cow - we saw bunches of asparagus! Typically, this would not be a highlight of the day, much less the week, but here in AZ, it's a world where those types of ideas are flipped.  Normal here is no way normal by home standards and typical is what you all would probably think atypical.  

I've slowly learned a lesson here about products, though, when you see something you want, buy it (especially in the regions)!  Yes, it hurts the volunteer budget, but the likelihood that you'll see that particular something again is a gamble that you'll probably lose.  I've been good at taking my advice about buying things (chocolate chip cookies, Pringles, curry, Ferrio Roche chocolates), but this past month, with the move and coming off Georgia spending, I've been dirt poor.  So, that day in the bazaar, I saw asparagus and I passed it up.

Further more, I banked on asparagus man having asparagus today.  I planned an asparagus stir-fry tonight with a box of tofu an amazing sitemate, Bev, provided, but, alas, no asparagus, no asparagus stir-fry.  The main ingredient is non-existent and, for the second day in a row, I've been disappointed with a small thing about AZ.

When life doesn't give you asparagus, make a better stir-fry.  :)

2 comments:

green ink said...

Know how you feel - I hate it when you're on a budget, you think twice about something and don't get it, but go back when you DO have the money and it's gone!! :(

My budget has been very tight of late too, but I think we all deserve little treats every now and then, especially beautiful spring asparagus! And, as you say, in a regional area where supplies are not as regular, you really have to seize the moment :)

That stirfry does sound amazing!

Sarah Glova said...

I bet your stir-fry will be good without the asparagus... can I mail you some? hehe.

I definitely understand... I'm ALWAYS passing up on (don't laugh) clothes that fit. I try them on, they actually fit... and then I change my mind. I can't justify the money. And then I have no clothes. I need to just buckle down and do it... but the clothes I buy just never seems worth the effort it took to make the money!!

Here's hoping asparagus will pop up again soon :)