
Sometimes what I call work here is something I would definitely be doing anywhere, especially in the summer. This season, I've been lucky enough to be able to put softball into my "work" schedule. Best job ever.
We just finished our summer season with 2 tournaments, one in Mingechevir and one in Gence. Mingechevir's tournament was really great with a good amount of PCVs popping up and 3 teams. We came in second there and Gence took the win. But! This past weekend, the final tournament, Mingechevir and Gence played a tight game and Ming took it home! Hooray! Apparently for the past 4 years Mingechevir has won the final "tournament," so it's fun to know we weren't completely defeated.
This season really was pretty fantastic with all the usual ups and downs Azerbaijan holds for us. I had a blast practicing with our guys, showing up at the stadium and proving that girls actually can play sports, and rocking out a pair of shorts during play! We had amazing kids travel into Ming and our kids were able to travel in for a game, which really does make things a bit more exciting.
As much as I do love playing softball, hanging out with the kids and PCVs, roasting/melting in the sun, and being able to yell as much and as loud as I want, I can't help but reminisce about the "old days" playing neighborhood games in the back yard, batting cages with my brother, and yelling at the TV every time the Cubs didn't do quite as well as I'd have hoped.

No comments:
Post a Comment