Monday, August 17, 2009

A Major Necessity.

Peace Corps has opened me up to a lot of new things and experiences.  I have new dependencies and addictions and have gotten rid of old ones.  One of my newer needs is TV on DVD.  I watch more TV here than I ever did in America and have caught up on a lot of pop culture that fell by the wayside when I was home.  Now, I know I'm now missing new shows and all that jazz, but I doubt it will be as important to me when I get back.  It makes sense to me... watching a lot of TV as when it's really cold, going outside isn't preferable, and neither is it when it's super hot.  

I don't really discriminate what I watch here and my standards now are quite low, so I've seen a lot of shows that really aren't that great, but I have watched a couple that I believe are pretty incredible.

The Wire
I don't know why I ever thought this show wouldn't interest me - it has murder, corruption, and some good looking men, everything a good show should have.  It started out slow and I wasn't sure if I was really into it, but it developed quickly and the next thing I knew, I was hooked.  I now firmly hold the belief that this has been the best show I've watched in this country... perhaps ever.  It's gritty, hard-hitting, enticing, and completely addicting.  If you haven't watched it, you should.  It really hits its stride in the 3rd and 4th seasons.

The West Wing
I remember watching this on and off in the background with my dad, but I didn't understand the complexity of this show until watching it here.  Now that it's been able to get the focus from me that it deserves, I've come to thoroughly enjoy this show.  Maybe it's the combination of entertainment and reminders of DC visits and America, but this really is a fast talking and captivating show with humor, drama, and American idealism.

Mad Men
It surprises a few people that I like this show as much as I do, but I truly find this show fascinating as a time piece and a drama.  It's entertaining while also giving me a glimpse on what was a reality for some of my close friends back in the day.  Don't get me wrong, there are parts of the reality that I don't like and makes me feel uncomfortable, but that's kind of the beauty of it.  The advertising environment is compelling and the characters intricate.  I think that the acting is fantastic, for the most part, and that, if for not anything else, watching the change that occurs during this time period is enough to keep one interested.  This is one show I wish I were able to watch every week back home.  

I could go on and share all the other shows I've watched, but I kind of fear that you all would think the list absurd in the amount, so I won't.  I will, though, tell you that I have watched the entire The X-Files series as well as Grey's Anatomy.  I've rewatched all the TV I brought here with me and have probably done so multiple times.  I'm sure that within the next 16 months, I'll watch a lot more and find new favorites, but, for now, these are my tops.

Who knew I'd be going half a world away to watch so much TV?  

1 comment:

Christy said...

I used to be so addicted to Grey's Anatomy... I kind of fell out of it two years ago, but some of the newer previews look pretty amazing.

Do you watch House at all?