Thursday, October 22, 2009

7s Invade Ming.

In no way should invade be taken as a negative term.  In Ming's case, it's the accurate one.  Since the departure of our 4 sitemates and leaving us 4, it sure felt like a lot of people were in Mingechevir for a few days over the AZ7 PCV visits.  We were fortunate enough to host 6 new trainees and, I hope, fun was had by all.  

The purpose of a PCV visit is to get a glimpse into PCV life.  Although most of it is accurate, some of it isn't as well since some of us take a lighter schedule while guests are in town or they might just catch us at a time when not too much is on your plate.  I was very glad mine came on days I actually do work, so that was, at least, something.  Last year on my PCV visit, we didn't do work at all, really, but did get a chance to finally relax from training stress (which is the more beneficial aspect to the visit, I think...).  So, I tried to find a healthy balance of work and fun.

The PCTs came in on Sunday and we were able to greet them and bring them all back to my place for the evening.  I cooked dinner, baked a big apple pie and served up some made from scratch banana nut muffins and biscottis.  It was nice getting to all hang out together the first night (and for all the subsequent ones) and kept many of the possible introductory awkward pauses at a minimum.  

Monday I was able to take my Trainees around Mingechevir for a walk before my afternoon Film Club.  I'm extremely proud of my FLEX girls, so it was great to be able to show them off a bit.  We watched our film, chatted for a bit, then it was time for us to go off to softball.  
Softball season is winding down this week with our tournament on Sunday, so we had enough people come out to play a game with us, the Trainees, and our kids.  I had a blast.  I love softball.  The night ended with us going down to Mingechevir's only haunt, the Wild West, where we had dinner, drinks, and an amazing (on the house) fruit platter at the end of the meal.  Laura and I were also able to take our Trainees through the city to look at all the lights (which would have been a shame not to... being in the Light City and all).


Continuing the tour of Mingechevir, we walked up to the reservoir the next morning.  We spent time there for a bit and I found a new spinny ride reminiscent of those dangerous playground spin rides.  Fun.  And dizzying.  My group had work at 2, so we headed back to change clothes before I started work at a new place.  This was a first experience for myself, as well, and it was a bit of trouble.  Basically, I go to a room filled with 25ish kids that don't know English... I think they want me to be a teacher and that is not what I want... at all.  We'll see what happens with that one.  The nice thing about after that, though, was we got to come home and relax before dinner at Laura's.  Our last night together was with good food, great company, and Apple to Apples.

It still amazes me that we've been here for a year and talking with the new people really drives that in so much more.  Having the 7s visit was a great experience and it was truly wonderful getting to know them and begin new friendships.  It was a blast staying up with Kathy and chatting the nights away, watching Anthony Bourdain with Kathy and Eli, talking on the balcony with Derek, experiencing a truly Azer moment (however frustrating) with Jessica and Alisha, walking around with Judy, sharing our first year stories with everyone, playing Apples to Apples with a new group of people, getting to chat with the ones I didn't really get to when I went in for Hub Day and to hear about what they're going through right now while also thinking how me and my group felt the same then as they do now.

As exciting as all that was, I was beat the day after.  I said my goodbyes in the early morning, went back to bed, woke up for a bit and then slept til the next morning.  

Next up, Softball Sunday.

No comments: