I love softball. We play softball in Mingechevir and it is awesome. This season was something a bit different... it was all AZ6. The experience was tumultuous but, in the end, it proved successful. Not only was it AZ6 running it in the country - in Mingechevir, it was only girls. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal for all you people back home who're able to mingle with the opposite sex and enjoy the company of anyone you choose but, here, it's a big deal. The season started off slow with bad weather and very low attendance, but the past 2 weeks were pretty incredible and we were able to gain some very valuable players. We even named one of our favorite guys, Mensur, Captain!
Today was the one and only Fall Tournament for this year. Only 2 teams participated, but it was fun nonetheless. Tim, Lucy, and Danielle traveled in (though Danielle had to take an emergency trip home) and brought much team spirit and support. Rolling into town this morning was Gence bringing Mathias, Chris, Katie, Elmer and a really great team. With my Cubs gear on and a strong team led by a new Captain, we played.
The first game was a close one and Mingechevir squeezed out a 16-15 win with only minutes left on the clock. Mensur did fabulously guiding our team, creating a line up and manning the field. We even had a new All-Star player, Allahverdi, shine through the sweetest slide into second I've ever witnessed! My girls (Sabina and Sama) even came out and played quite wonderfully. It was a tight game and Gence definitely gave us a run for our money!
The second game was very low in points for the first few innings and Mingechevir's defense was phenomenal - I am so proud! We were leading that game 8-5 (I think) with only 15 minutes left when the whole game took a huge turn for the worse... In true stereotypical Azeri male fashion, a group of guys show up and try to force us off the field even though there was another free field right across the way. Things escalated very quickly and reached a very frustrating peak which included a bit of physical contact from the Azeri guys toward one of our Volunteers. We were seriously being attacked... over a field. Since it was near the end of the game, we decided to be the bigger people and leave, letting them treat the guests of their country so badly. What gets my goat is that they pushed out the kids! The kids! Thanks guys for being so selfish.
We pushed aside our frustrations, bonded over the absurdity, and took our lovely group photos. As angry as the last part of the day made me, I can't forget how incredible of a season it's been (even with the slow start). I got to continue working and deepen relationships I made last season as well as create new ones. These kids we worked with are truly the special ones, in my opinion. They're the ones that make me want to be here and the ones I enjoy spending time with. These are the kids I'll look back on with fond memories and wonder how they turned out while secretly hoping they're still the special ones who're polite, respectful, and full of untarnished life. They are why I'm here and I'm better for knowing them.

No comments:
Post a Comment