The other day after leaving work, I went outside to a temperature pretty similar to the inside. I started walking around and took in the moment as much as my cold body was able without thinking of myself shivering and trying to warm up. Once walking, I was not as cold as when I’m stationary and so I was able to take it all in. I was walking in a city that’s decorated in lights, the people were putting up the New Year’s tree, and there was snow coming down. “Silver Bells” came into my head and that moment was something special. I didn’t feel like I was in Azerbaijan while walking down the street with a skip in my step humming the tune to myself and the one’s that came in close enough proximity to me. I came home to a cold room able to see my own breath and decided to make myself a French presses’ worth of coffee. I drank it on the floor while reading a book and listening to music on my iPod speakers. This was just one of those moments where I pictured myself doing the exact same thing if I were anywhere else. I thought of all you back home and tried to think about what you were doing at that same exact moment… I pictured some of you finishing up Christmas shopping in the rushes of Mayfaire/Mayflower and/or places of the like, some of you baking in a warm kitchen, some of you watching TV trying to relax a bit, a few of you were working, but thinking of when you wouldn’t be, and one of you was doing pretty much the same exact thing I was doing. 6300 miles away, my guesses and thoughts of you could have all been completely false, but I’m pretty confident there are some truth to them. If not, hey, that was my idea of you guys and I was comforted in seeing you in familiarity.
That’s my story for the day. Thank you for reading. I miss you all and find that my thoughts are constantly coming back to warm wishes for you all. Enjoy this season sans me being physically present… you should all know, like I know, that I’m still there, some part of me. The part that lives in thoughts and memories at the moment. I know you are all still with me.
Merry Christmas, friends and family, and Happy New Year, just in case I don’t write before then.

No comments:
Post a Comment